Rongai Route & Itinerary
Trip Summary: 6 days on the Mountain
Arrival Day (Day 1) is every Friday of every month, except during April and May
THIS ROUTE OFFERS BE AUTIFUL VIEWS of Kenya’s Maasai plains. This route is the least visited, thus offers a quiet environment and is the only route that approaches Kilimanjaro from the north. It offers a gentle gradient and has some unspoiled flora and fauna.
|Day 1||Arrive at Kilimanjaro International Airport, transfer to accommodation in Arusha; Planet Lodge|
|Day 2||After breakfast, we drive to Nare Moru Village (6,500 ft) where the trek starts. From there we walk through the cultivated land and pine forest on the way to Simba Campsite (8,900 ft) where we camp ~ B, L, D|
|Day 3||Today we continue the hike via Second Cave to Kikelwa Camp. This trek offers impressive views of Kibo and the eastern ice fields on the rim of the crater. We carry on to Kikelwa Camp, (11,800 ft) where we camp ~ B, L, D|
|Day 4||After breakfast we leave for Mawenzi Tarn (14,150 ft). We spend the afternoon exploring the surrounding area which will help us to acclimatize; and camp for the night ~ B, L, D|
|Day 5||After breakfast, we cross the lunar desert of the ‘Saddle’ between Mawenzi and Kibo to reach Kibo campsite (15,000 ft) at the bottom of the Kibo crater wall. The remainder of the day is spent resting in preparation for the final ascent ~ B, L, D|
|Day 6||Up early, we start for the summit scree up to Gilman’s Point (18,930 ft), which is on the crater rim. From there we go on to Uhuru Peak and then descend to Kibo Hut for a tea, soup and some snacks. After the short break, we descend to Horombo Hut (12,000 ft) and camp there ~ B, L, D|
|Day 7||After breakfast, we descend further to Marangu Gate. A waiting car will take you to Planet Lodge ~ B, L|
|Day 8||Transfer to the airport for your return flight ~ B|
|Route waypoints||Time (approx)|
|Rongai Gate – Simba Camp||4 hrs|
|Simba Camp – Kikelwa Camp||6 – 7 hrs|
|Kikelwa Camp – Mawenzi Tarn||4 – 5 hrs|
|Mawenzi Tarn – Kibo Campsite||5 hrs|
|Kibo Campsite – Uhuru Peak||6 – 7 hrs|
|Uhuru Peak to Horombo Hut||5 hrs|
|Horombo Hut – Marangu Gate||5 – 6 hrs|
|Item / Years||2017||2018|
|Prices (in USD)||$ 2,390||$ 2,475|
|Cost for adding an extra day on trek||$ 270||$ 270|
|Dates… every week except in April and May|
For guests who prefer to arrive a day earlier, we recommend a day trip to Arusha National Park for a game drive and hiking for the extra cost of $230/person, including the additional hotel night in Arusha.
- Arrival and Departure Kilimanjaro airport (JRO) transfers to//from Arusha [For those who arrive/depart from Nairobi, we include schedule shuttle bus transfer, available at 8AM and 2PM daily]
- Transport from the hotel in Arusha to the mountain and back to the Hotel.
- Kilimanjaro national park permits, camping/hut fees, mountain rescue fees, value added tax (VAT), and all other applicable local government taxes/fees
- Services of Guide, assistant guides, cook and porters
- Maximum of 10 climbers (unless stated otherwise)
- Accommodation in a lodge in Arusha at Arusha Planet Lodge for 2 nights (before & after the climb), including breakfast and taxes
- Meals on the mountain
- Drinking water: Boiled water on the trek (recommended to bring a filter/filtrating tablets), and bottled water on the safari.
- Sleeping pad
- Dining tent, tables, chairs
- Bottled oxygen for emergency rescue only
- Items of personal nature
- Climbing gears (most of them can be rented on arrival; we recommend you email the list of items you think you may consider renting)
- Tips to the climbing crew
- Medical equipment which can be rented well in advance for the following costs: $250/group for hyperbaric chamber, $210/group for an emergency oxygen cylinder and $140/group for a stretcher. Please note these prices include a porter to carry the equipment.
- Portable toilets: If you are concerned about using public toilets, a portable toilet is available for an extra $110/person or $180/group. This service must be confirmed at the time of booking.
- The luggage that porters are allowed to carry is limited to 35 pounds (ie: 15 kgs)
- Overweight or extra luggage will require an extra porter at a rate of $10/bag/day
- You can leave extra luggage at your hotel in Arusha or at our office (do not leave any valuables like cash, jewelry, electronics, etc)